Sometimes it’s fun to play around with programs that you use everyday. There may be more to a program than you know. The best way to learn is to learn while having fun so here are some fun (and sometimes useful) things you can do with Firefox.
Open Firefox and copy and paste (or type them if you are a masochist) any of the following lines of code into the Firefox address bar. And don’t be confused by the word “chrome” – it’s not the Chrome browser from Google we’re talking about, it’s Firefox.
1. chrome://browser/content/browser.xul – Opens another Firefox inside a tab in the existing Firefox window.
2. chrome://browser/content/preferences/preferences.xul – Opens the Options dialog box inside the Firefox tab.
3. chrome://browser/content/bookmarks/bookmarksPanel.xul – Opens the “Bookmarks Manager” inside a tab in the Firefox window.
4. chrome://browser/content/history/history-panel.xul – Opens the History Panel in the Firefox tab.
5. chrome://mozapps/content/extensions/extensions.xul?type=extensions – Opens the Extensions window in the current tab.
6. chrome://browser/content/preferences/cookies.xul – Opens the “cookies window” inside a tab in the Firefox window.
7. chrome://browser/content/preferences/sanitize.xul – Opens the “Clear Private Data” window inside the current tab.
8. chrome://browser/content/aboutDialog.xul – Opens the “About Firefox” Dialog box inside the tab.
9. chrome://browser/content/credits.xhtml – Opens a scrolling list of firefox contributors. The one’s who we must thank for creating Firefox
10. chrome://global/content/alerts/alert.xul – Dancing Firefox.
If you don’t have Firefox installed you can get it free at http://firefox.com . Even if you’re a diehard lover of Internet Explorer, you can install Firefox and use it just like you would any other program. You can install Firefox and still keep Internet Explorer as your default browser and open Firefox as often or as infrequently as you like. You may find that you’ll like Firefox and it is always beneficial to explore different things and new programs – by doing so you might find you learn something new. And learning new things keeps us young and makes us smarter.