Michel misspelled his Windows 7 User account name and now wants to change it
I have Windows 7 Home Premium. I would like to change the User’s name in C:\Users\name and not only on the logon page. My name was misspelt and it annoys me no end! Many thanks indeed.
You cannot change a user account by simply changing the name. Doing this will only make a cosmetic change; it won’t affect the underlying files/folders in your username profile.
1. From an account with administrative privileges, go to Control Panel>User Accounts and create the new Standard user account named the way you want it and at least one extra Administrator account. Call the latter “MyAdminAccount” or “ComputerAdmin” or something that designates it as an administrator account.
2. Log into your new Standard user account once so the profile files/folders are created and then log into the admin account you created.
3. Now go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, User Profiles, and click on Settings
4. You will see where you can copy user accounts. Copy the old account to the new one from there. Use the Browse feature to select your new account (C:\Users\**yournewaccount**).
5. Log into the new account with the corrected name and make sure everything you want is there — and that it works the way you want. When you are satisfied, log out and then log in into the administrator account you created and delete the old user account from Control Panel>User Accounts.
If you wish to log into your new, corrected account automatically, do this:
Click start and type in the Search box: netplwiz
And press Enter
Click on Continue when the UAC prompt appears. Now uncheck the option “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”. Select the new user account you just created and select it as the one you want to be automatically logged into by clicking then press OK. Enter the correct password for your account (if any) when prompted. Leave it blank if you don’t use a password.
We hope this helps you, Michel.
We can perform services like these for you! Learn more about our Cloudeight Direct Computer Repair service.