Things you’ll need. First you’ll need to be running Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (32 or 64bit). You’ll also need a 2GB or larger USB flash drive. And you’ll need some knowledge of computers. This is not a tip for beginners. But if you’re an adventurous beginner, you won’t hurt anything if you try this tip. All of us were beginners at one time and you can learn more by trying and failing than you’re ever going to learn by not trying at all. So if you’re a beginner give it a shot.
So let’s get started:
Creating a rescue USB or CD from which you can boot your PC to scan and remove a bad malware or virus infection – or so you can access files on your computer in the event it becomes unbootable is a great idea. Many security companies offer free anti-virus rescue programs in the form of ISO files which you can use to make a bootable CD, DVD, or USB flash Drive.
Most of you know how to make a CD or DVD from an ISO (CD image file). And you can download any of the many free rescue ISOs available from security companies like Kaspersky, Avira, BitDefender, AVG and others.
Avira offers a free antivirus scanner as an ISO file which you can use to create a bootable CD, DVD or flash drive, and then use it to boot your computer and remove viruses and other malware infections. It also lets you boot your computer if it becomes unbootable for other reasons and save files from it.
In this tip we’re going to show you how to create a bootable USB flash drive.
Things you’ll need:
1. A 2GB or larger USB flash drive – preferably with nothing on it.
2. Avira Rescue System Rescue ISO (free)
3. UNetbootin to create bootable USB drive
4. Laptop/Netbook/Computer with USB boot option (Here is the way to add USB boot
5. Change you PC or Laptops boot configuration to boot in this order:
a. CD-ROM/DVD Drive
b. USB Drive
c. Primary hard drive
(Watch your boot screen next time you boot your computer, normally you press your F12 key during boot to get into computer setup where you change your boot order)
6. If your computer does not offer a USB boot option, see this page.
How to Create Avira Rescue System Rescue USB drive
1. Download Avira Rescue System Rescue ISO – keep it on your desktop
2. Download UNetbootin and save it to your desktop
3. Make sure you have a 2GB or larger USB drive in your computer
4. Start UNetbootin and select Diskimage option and browse and locate the Avira Rescue System rescue iso file you downloaded in step #1.
UNetbootin will auto-detect any USB drives plugged into your computer. After you complete this step, your USB drive will be bootable. You should restart your computer with the USB flash drive plugged into your computer to ensure that your computer boots from the flash drive.
If you want to create a bootable CD or DVD from the Avira rescue ISO, use your favorite CD/DVD burner software to create the bootable CD/DVD.