You’re looking for something, but your mind and memory are failing. You know you have it but you can’t remember what it’s called. It’s something your an old friend sent you and all you can remember is it had the word “elephants” in it. So you fire up Windows search but it’s slower than a hundred year-old tortoise with arthritis.
Most desktop search programs need to index all your files and folders before they can be used to find things. But the little freeware gem we found doesn’t make you wait while it indexes seven million files and folders – it doesn’t need to index anything. It comes right out of the gate and does what you paid it nothing to do – it finds what you’re looking for.
It can do a lot more than finding text in files – although it really excels at it. I can help you find duplicate files (although the author gives you a strong warning about deleting the duplicates it finds). It can give you disk information as well as find files by parameters you set.
We’re not going to ramble on too much – we’ll let the author tell you more about it – although we’ve already told you most everything about this great freeware pick called LookDisk. One more thing before we turn you over to the author of the program – the portable installation offered below is designed for USB flash drives. The portable edition does not install – you just download it to or move it to a flash drive and click on it to run it. You can download the portable version for you laptop or PC – but you’ll have to create your own shortcuts in the start menu or task bar to run it.
OK so here’s the author’s brief summary of his program:
- Search for duplicate files by name or content (also within ZIP, ARJ, RAR, LZH, 7-Zip, & CAB-Files)
- Search for files using various parameters (also within ZIP, ARJ, RAR, LZH, 7-Zip, & CAB-Files)
- Search for a text in any file (also within ZIP, ARJ, RAR, LZH, 7-Zip, & CAB-Files)
- Display disk overview (size, free space)
- User entries are saved and do not have to be re-entered each time LookDisk is started.