1. If you are not online, set to airport mode. You can do this from settings menu. On iPad it is the very first setting choice in your settings menu.
2. Adjust screen brightness down; you can find this under Settings/Brightness and Wallpaper on your iPad.
3. Do not leave your device in a hot car or storage area; heat will run batteries down quickly! Never leave in direct sunlight.
4. WiFi uses less battery power then 3G, so be sure your iPad is set to pick up WiFi when available.
5. Auto-lock settings vary from 2 minutes to NEVER, so NEVER chose NEVER and always choose 2 minute auto-lock. You can find this setting in Settings/General/Auto-lock (shuts screen down). Better yet, turn it off yourself as soon as you are done and make it a habit (press your awake/sleep button found at the top of your iPad).
6. If there are updates available for your device, be sure to get them. Many updates/upgrades will optimize battery life.
7. Turn off Push Notifications by going to Settings and turn off Notifications. When you open an app, it will let you know if there is an update.
8. Turn off Location Services, or turn off those you don’t use much. This can be found in Settings, Location Services.
9. Always charge to 100% and about once a month, let the battery drain completely, then recharge.
10. Go to Settings/General/Sounds and turn off sounds you really don’t need. Also, using lower volume conserves battery power.
11. Learn all the options in Settings menu and you will find some other things you can turn off to conserve battery power too!