USB flash drives are convenient for storing data either for backup purposes or data you need to carry with you when your travel. USB flash drives are safe storage devices because they are so durable. With a little care, flash drives can last for years and years.
Here are some suggestions for you to help you keep your flash drives in good condition:
- Keep from temperature extremes
- Use the “safely remove hardware” feature. This will ensure no files are being read/cached or written. Removing while it is active can corrupt the drive.
- Do not use on a laptop with a low battery; this can cause the USB to fail.
- Close all Windows explorer windows that may be displaying your USB drive.
- When plugged in, be careful you do not bump it against your lap or anything that will cause the flash drive to bend; this will ruin your USB drive.
- Do NOT install programs to your USB unless they are “portable” programs which are specially made to run from a USB flash drive.
- When not in use, keep your flash drive in a protective case to protect from dust and dirt.