* Andrew Jackson was dead. Still is.
* The “unsinkable” ocean liner Titanic sinks on maiden voyage after colliding with an iceberg; over 1,500 drown (April 15).
* Balkan Wars begin, resulting from territorial disputes: Turkey defeated by alliance of Bulgaria, Serbia, Greece, and Montenegro (Oct.).
President: William H. Taft
Vice President: James S. Sherman
More U.S. Statistics…
* New Mexico and Arizona are admitted as states No. 47 and 48.
* Woodrow Wilson is elected president.
* William Randolph Hearst begins to acquire his media empire that will include 18 newspapers and nine magazines within two decades.
* Girl Scouts of America founded by Juliette Gordon Low.
Wow! A lot has happened since EB was born. I wonder if she was ever a Girl Scout. It was all so new back then. The only thing I know about Girl Scouts is that they make good cookies. I never met a cookie I didn’t like, especially not a Girl Scout cookie. Please don’t try to order Girl Scout cookies from EB, she’s not been a Girl Scout for eighty-some years. If you like you can contribute to her retirement fund (and therefore mine too) by making a donation or getting one of our great super-deluxe, Premium 3D Screen Saver USBs. Worth more than you donate! You never know when EB might haul off and retire. It could be any day now. As for me? I’m waiting for my ship to come in.
Oh, you’re wondering what happened in the year I was born, aren’t’ you? OK here you go:
* Six US embassy aides escape from Iran with Canadian help (Jan. 29). Background: Iran Hostage Crisis
* US breaks diplomatic ties with Iran (April 7).
* Eight US servicemen are killed and five are injured as helicopter and cargo plane collide in abortive desert raid to rescue American hostages in Teheran (April 25). Background: Iran Hostage Crisis
* Anastasio Somoza Debayle, ousted Nicaraguan ruler, and two aides are assassinated in Paraguayan capital of Asunción (Sept. 17).
* Iraqi troops hold 90 square miles of Iran after invasion; 8-year Iran-Iraq War begins (Sept. 19).
* Three US nuns and a lay worker are found shot in El Salvador (Dec. 4).
President: James Earl Carter, Jr.
Vice President: Walter F. Mondale
Life expectancy: 73.7 years
Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000): 59.5
Property Crime Rate (per 1,000): 53.5
More U.S. Statistics…
* F.B.I.’s undercover operation “Abscam” (for Arab scam) implicates public officials (Feb. 2).
* Ronald Reagan elected president in Republican sweep (Nov. 4).
US GDP (1998 dollars): $2,784.20 billion
Federal spending: $590.95 billion
Federal debt: $909.1 billion
Median Household Income
(current dollars): $17,710
Consumer Price Index: 82.4
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.15
So, you can see I was born on the cusp of the computer age, not on the cusp of the industrial age. No wonder EB and I fight like cats and dogs. No EB is the cat and I’m the dog. Ever seen my picture?
Anyway, lots of good stuff on this week’s site of the week. What happened the year you were born? If you want to find out, visit our site of the week and take a gander. Really! That’s how EB talks!
Want to know what happened in the year you were born? You might be surprised! Visit today’s site pick to find out!