Diagnose and Fix Windows File and Folder Problems With this Free Program From Microsoft
If you’re using Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or any version of Windows 10 and you are having problems emptying the Recycle Bin, deleting files and folders, renaming files or folders, moving files or folders, your desktop icons change randomly, or you’re having other problems with files and folders, Microsoft offers a free program (Troubleshooter) to help you diagnose and resolve these and other annoying file, folder, and shortcut problems. The Microsoft “File and Folder Troubleshooter” can fix problems such as the ones listed below:
- You’re unable to empty the Recycle Bin or delete a file or a folder inside the Recycle Bin.
- When you try to rename or move a file, you receive the following error message: “The file or folder does not exist.”
- When you copy, move, rename, or delete a file on a network share, you receive the following error message: “There is a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost” or “The folder does not exist. The file may have been moved or deleted. Do you want to create it?”
- Your View settings or customizations for one or more folders may be lost or incorrect.
- You’re unable to use keyboard shortcuts to select more than one item in Windows Explorer, or you’re unable to select multiple items in a Windows Explorer window by holding the Shift key or the Ctrl key while you select the items.
- Some icons in My Computer, in Windows Explorer, on the desktop, or on the Quick Launch Bar change randomly.
If you have any of the problems listed above, give the Windows File and Folder troubleshooter a try. There’s a good chance it will help diagnose and fix these annoying file and folder problems.
The file name is “winfilefolder.DiagCab”. It does not install, just download and double-click on the file to start the troubleshooter, and follow the onscreen prompts.
The troubleshooter works on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and all versions of Windows 10.