Let’s Play Twenty-one… 21 Quick Windows Tips
Everyone likes short, quick Windows tips. The following 21 tips work in all versions of Windows, unless otherwise noted. We hope you find these tips useful!!
- To change computer time: Right mouse click on the clock in your system tray (lower far right) or right-click in system tray and choose “adjust date and time”.. (Windows 7 only)
- To save a picture/image from a web page, right mouse click and choose “Save Picture As” or “Same image as” (depending on your browser). You can rename it – if you wish – when you save it to your hard drive. You can rename it – but you cannot change its extension. If you want to change image formats – you can open the image in your favorite photo editor and re-save it in the format of your choice..
- To see how much hard drive/hard disk space you have left, do this: Double click My Computer (or This PC in Windows 8 and Windows 10) right mouse click on your C drive (or any hard drive) and chose properties..
- Most common image formats are JPG, GIF, BMP and PNG. Most common image format exported from a digital camera is JPG..
- If you accidentally delete a file, click Control key + Z to bring it back instantly. You can also look in your recycle bin if you don’t realize it until later, then just right-click on the file and choose “restore” and it will go back to where it came from..
- If you hold the shift key down when deleting a file, it bypasses the recycle bin. Control Z will still bring it back.
- If you occasionally see a red X instead of an image on a web page, it is not a setting problem with your browser. It usually means the webmaster who made the page put in a bad link..
- F1 key opens Windows Help quickly! (Windows 7 )
- You can quickly maximize a window by double clicking the title bar of the window… this is the areas with the program’s name at the top of your window. Double click again to bring it back to the size it was prior to maximizing..
- To learn all about your PC, press Windows Key + R to open a run box, type MSINFO32 and press Enter.
- To open a “Run” command (run box) just press the Windows Key + R..
- To open Windows Explorer or File Explorer press the Windows Key + E..
- To close any window that is in focus (on top of the rest) click ALT + F4
- Use the ALT key + the Tab key to move between open programs..
- Press the Windows key plus the “D” key to instantly return to your desktop
- When browsing the Web using your favorite browser, tapping the F11 key will maximize the browser window and give you the maximum amount of viewing area (no address bars or toolbars in your way). Tapping the F11 key again, returns your browser window to its normal state..
- Click F4 while your browser is open and the last 25 addresses you have typed out in your address bar will show. Here’ how to do it: Place your cursor in the address bar and tap the F4 key..
- Press the Windows Key plus the L key to lock your computer. (Works only if your Windows user account is password protected.))
- While in Windows Explorer or File Explorer, Press ALT + P and a preview should appear on the right..
- To view properties menu of a file, folder, etc., highlight it and click Alt + Enter.
- In your favorite browser, you can view recent downloads by pressing CTRL + J . (Works in Chrome, IE, and Firefox.))
Thank you!!! Some of these I know and use but there are some new-to-me goodies here.