How to Wipe Your Computer and Reinstall Windows 10
If you’re going to be giving away or selling your Windows 10 computer – or you just want a completely fresh start – you don’t need to download any 3-party software to wipe your personal information from your computer and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows before you give it away or sell it.
WARNING: Do not do this if you want to keep your files. This method will wipe everything and reinstall Windows 10.
Let’s get started…
1. Right-click on the Windows 10 start button & click Settings
2. In Settings > click on Update & Security.
3. In Update & Security > click on Recovery
4. In Recovery under Reset this PC” > click on “Get started”
5. When you click on “Get started”, you’ll have at least two options…
a. Keep my files – Removes apps and settings, but keeps your personal files.
b. Remove everything – Removes all of your personal files, apps, and settings.
6. Click on Remove everything.
7. Windows will ask if you want “Just remove my files ” or “Remove files and clean the drive”. Since you’re not keeping the computer (or you just want to start with a completely clean computer), choose “Remove files and clean the drive” Selecting this wipes the C:\ drive (or Windows drive) of everything and then reinstalls Windows 10. After you do this, when you give the computer away or sell it, it’s like a computer that has never been used. Or if you want to keep the computer, it’s almost like having a new computer.